Monday, June 05, 2006

JALTCALL

My head is spinning from two days of sessions on CALL (Computer-Assisted Language Learning). I thought I was doing a great deal with computers in my teaching, and this weekend I realized that, even though I'm far ahead of many of my colleagues, I'm behind at least 3 or 4 years.

I don't think I'm ready to go as far as having the students use their mobile phones in the classroom, but I certainly want to think of ways in which I can encourage more collaborative learning.

I also realized that what I'm doing is sooo Web 1, with me controlling the content to a great extent. Web 2 has students accessing websites on their own in order on material posted by others, whether it be written or visual. Also, by developing their own blogs and posting photos of their own to a site such as Flickr, they can interact with others from all over the world.

The possibilities are mind-boggling. At the moment, my mind is too boggled to write more, but I hope to begin some new experiments in the near future. In fact, the future is now because I've started my own blog for the first time.

No comments: